Kanfer Residence at Chautauqua Institution, Chautauqua, NY
Chautauqua Institution is a cmmunity on the shores of Chautauqua Lake in southwestern New York where, over the course of nine weeks, more than 100,000 visitors stay and participate in programs, classes and community events for all ages.
- Create a landscape that engages owners of, and seasonal visitors to, a community residence with the surrounding environment
- Showcase native plant habitats and gardens as an educational tool
- Created native landscapes that have begun to engage residents and city officials in conversations about the value of such landscapes
- Reduced direct discharge of stormwater runoff into Lake Chautauqua, where algal blooms are becoming a summer nuisance
- Implemented green infrastructure, such as rain gardens, permeable pavers and bioswales, on a residential scale not seen before in this are of New York
Learn more about Chautauqua Institution.
« Return to Community Spaces overview page