Douglas-Hart Nature Center, Mattoon, IL
The Douglas-Hart Nature Center is a preserve that reflects the native habitats of east-central Illinois to encourage visitors to experience, understand and appreciate nature. Since its founding in the 1960s it has doubled in size to more than 70 acres.
- Develop and execute a master plan for the growing nature center
- Increased annual visitors from 7,000 to 13,000 over a 12-month period
- Attracted a business partnership that resulted in heightened visibility and that offers the nonprofit nature center more funding opportunities
- Provided additional funding channels due to the plan’s native plantings, green infrastructure improvements and trails
- Using an eco-friendly approach to stormwater management, solved a drainage problem that impacted the nature center’s main building
Learn more about the Douglas-Hart Nature Center.
« Return to Community Spaces overview page