LeRoy Oakes Forest Preserve - Prairie Garden, Kane County, IL
The mission of the Forest Preserve District of Kane County is to acquire, hold and maintain lands within Kane County that contribute to preservation of natural resources and to restore and protect such lands for education and recreation. LeRoy Oakes Forest Preserve, one of its holdings, is a popular destination for both passive and active recreation, with high-quality prairie, woodland and Ferson Creek, which meanders through the preserve.
- Design an educational native prairie garden to accent the preserve’s Creek Bend Nature Center and the Durant House Museum
- A prairie garden that welcomes visitors to the facility and frames the existing structures
- Use of plants that were locally grown from native seed and cuttings
- Prairie installation by volunteers from Clarke during a Chicago Wilderness Day of Service
- A phasing plan for future completion of pathways, hardscape and additional garden space
Learn more about LeRoy Oakes Forest Preserve Prairie Garden.
« Return to Habitat overview page