North Park Village Nature Center, Chicago, IL
The Chicago Park District's North Park Village Nature Center features a 46-acre nature preserve and educational facility situated within the 155-acre North Park Village campus. It gives visitors an opportunity to interact with and learn about wildlife and natural resources in an urban setting.
- Create a landscape identity for the nature center’s front entrance
- Design and execute a master plan that demonstrates and teaches visitors about prairie, savanna and wetland
- Converted 2 ½ acres of asphalt and turfgrass into ecosystem demonstration areas
- Designed and managed installation of a landscape at the front of the nature center that is a microcosm of the 40-acre natural area behind the nature center
- Developed trails and interpretive signage throughout the site
- Helped increase annual nature center attendance from 6,000 pre-construction to over 60,000
- Provided opportunities for education and community workshops promoting Chicago’s environmental agenda
- Recognized by Chicago Wilderness and the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency with a Conservation and Native Landscaping award
Learn more about the North Park Village Nature Center.
« Return to Habitat overview page